Friday, January 18, 2008

Turbulence

As we departed toward our escape route, my remorse for Major Strickland was interrupted when more of those machines attacked us without warning. I guess the cure for the sadness of losing a fellow soldier is to be attacked by some unknown entity. While we tried to take down the machines we saw from behind our ship, the pilot of our VTOL was taken down. We were beginning to head toward the ground quickly. There's no way I want to stay on this island and deal with the spider-machine!

I panned our room within the VTOL. I didn't see anyone who was probably more capable than myself to navigate this craft. What didn't make things better is that all my flight hours in the VTOL happened in simulation. True be told, I had not flown a real VTOL in my entire military career. That really didn't matter at this point, because no one else was stepping up to the plate. Did I mention that I didn't want to have to face the spider-machine?!!!

So, I moved into the cockpit and assumed the controls.



The initial mission is to escape from the island to one of our carriers out at sea. However, we needed to clear the area of these machines first. The machines were attacking not only us, but another area filled with US forces attempting to escape in their own VTOLs. Until the machines are eliminated, the other VTOLs are stuck on the ground - stationary targets!

Using the rockets and the guns on board the VTOL I was able to take down the machines that weren't destroyed from my fellow soldiers either in the back of my craft or on the ground still waiting to board their escape pods.



With the area clear, the VTOLs were able to head in the direction of the carrier. I followed their path, since I was certainly the slowest of them all given my lack of flying time.

To be honest, the controls were identical to the simulators. What was missing in the simulator was the reality of feeling the craft navigate through the sky. Also missing was the wicked turbulence that I was dealing with now. The simulator adjusted for wind conditions, but I never remember dealing with this kind of resistance, followed by immediate anti-resistance!



Before me the open sea finally was in the distance. I felt like I was going to make it off this island after all. Landing this craft might be a different situation all together. Heck, I will just be happy to get near the carrier. We can swim the rest of the way, if needed.

I noticed more machines attacking troops near the beach. There was an industrial park of some sort at the edge of the island. I wondered if this was an area I had navigated through on foot. I didn't think so. Nothing looked familiar, at least.

With my damage reasonable and machine gun still full of ammo, I decided to clear out the area of the remaining machines before heading toward the carrier. I figured the more I take care of now, the less we have to deal with later.



The area was clear and my map showed no known enemies in range.



I asked the team in the back of the ship if we should head toward the carrier. No one opposed. So, we are finally off this island ... at least for now.

I am going to focus on landing this craft on the carrier. I will be back in touch soon.

Nomad ... signing out.